October 26, 2010

Top 10 for Tuesday, October 26

I love Halloween, everyone knows this... but I also love witches, not just at Halloween but all year!  My very favorite witch is The Wicked Witch of the West.  I am betting that most of the kids (and some adults) have never read the book!  Did you know that the witch in the book is not like the movie!  This is what the witch looks like in the books.  She has a patch over her eye (it's a telescope!), she wears her hair in pigtails and doesn't even have a broom.  She carries an umbrella!  And- Dorothy kills the witch with a bucket of water after she steals one of her shoes (silver shoes!)  In the book, the Wicked Witch is only a minor character- in one chapter. I must say that I love the movie witch even more.  I can do a pretty good "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too!"  Stop by the library and I will show you!  Also... see if you can find the wicked witch that I keep in my office!

Wizard of OZ  by L Frank Baum E BAU
Dorothy, swept from Kansas by a cyclone, is deposited over the rainbow in the magical land of Oz where she runs afoul of an evil witch who tries to keep Dorothy from finding her way back home.
One Witch Laura Leuck E LEU
A witch goes around to her fiendish friends--from two cats to ten werewolves--to gather the ingredients to make gruesome stew for her party.
Strega Nona by Tomi DePaola E DEP 
When Strega Nona (Grandmother witch) leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works. 
Heckedy Peg by Don & Audrey Wood E WOO
This is a book that my daughter Leah knows by heart and can read it word for word (she "reads" it, she is only 2!)  A mother saves her seven children from Heckedy Peg, a witch who has changed them into different kinds of food.
Mrs. Biddlebox by Linda Smith E SMI
With baking magic, Mrs. Biddlebox uses fog, dirt, sky, and other ingredients of a rotten day to transform it into a sweet cake.  The book doesn't come right out and say Mrs. Biddlebix is a witch, but I do! 
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis (F LEW)
Four English school children find their way through the back of a wardrobe into the magic land of Narnia and assist Aslan, the golden lion, to triumph over the White Witch, who has cursed the land with eternal winter.  This was my favorite book in 6th grade!  I haven't seen the movie...
Witch Catcher by Mary Downing Hahn (F HAH)
Having just moved into the West Virginia home they inherited from a distant relative, twelve-year-old Jen is surprised that her father is already dating a local antiques dealer, but more surprised by what the spooky woman really wants.
Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and me, Elizabeth by EL Konigsburg (F KON)
Elizabeth is very lonely until she meets Jennifer, who is a witch and who teaches Elizabeth to become a witch herself. This was my favorite book in fifth grade!  I wish I could get more kids to read it!
 Stolen by Vivian Vande Velde (F VAN)
A girl finds herself running through the forest at the edge of a village with no memory of anything, even her own name, and later learns that she might be twelve-year-old Isabelle, believed to be stolen by a witch six years before.
Widow's Broom by Chris Van Allsburg (E VAN)
A witch's worn-out broom serves a widow well, until her neighbors decide the thing is wicked and dangerous.

I am trying not to put the same book on multiple lists, so unofficially, number 11 (but my 2nd favorite witch)  Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini (E PAL)

0 comments so far! Click to comment.:

Post a Comment