October 4, 2011

Red Light! Green Light!


When I talk to kids in the library, I feel like the teacher from Charlie Brown.  Yes, like this:

 
I am trying to use more visual cues as a part of library check out. For the last 8 years I have preached about neat, tidy shelves. But, did I ever actually TEACH them how to make the shelves neat and tidy? Nope. So 2 weeks ago, we had an actual lesson on keeping shelves straightened. We call awesome shelves GREEN LIGHT SHELVES and awful shelves RED LIGHT SHELVES. I have photo examples hanging above the shelves. I will say that the library has never looked better! Now instead of me saying "Look at this shelf! Who left this like that? You need to move all of the books and smoosh them together and wah wah wah wah WAH!" I just say "Red light shelf" and I have 12 kids running over to fix it! So cool!


2 comments:

  1. Love it. I find myself stealing many things from you and this makes another one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I am going to do this...my biggest issue is those kids that keep pushing the books all the way to the back....ahhhhh! Thanks for reminding me how important modeling is.

    ReplyDelete