May 2, 2011

Children's Book Week: Kindergarten Style

We didn't waste anytime getting our book on for Children's Book Week in the Lemme Library!  At 9:00 sharp, I explained to Kindergarteners in Mrs. Hayes' class that Children's Book Week is a chance to celebrate great books for kids- and to remember that books can change your life.  When I asked what that meant, Elleigh said "Books make you happy."  I agree completely, Elleigh.  
I shared Barnes and Noble Storyline with the class.  This is a great way to entice kids into a great book (they think they are watching tv!)  If you haven't been to this great site, check it out!  This month they are featuring The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. 

After watching The Very Hungry Caterpillar & Strega Nona, we played a fun game!  We played Musical Books... kind of like musical chairs with a twist.  I placed enough chairs for each child in a big circle in the middle of the library.  Then, I placed a great book on each chair.  

When the music played, the kids walked around the circle and when the music stopped... they had to sit down and read the book on their chair.  

We did this several times and then each child got to pick their favorite book to check out (or rent as Kade put it today).  This was so much fun!  The kids were excited and loved seeing all of the books.  I told them that this was my way of getting them to try something new.  I just may have to do this with the big kids next week.  
I didn't invent this idea- but found it over at the NEA Book Week Celebration website

How are you celebrating Children's Book Week with your students or your own children?  Let me know!  

7 comments:

  1. Great idea! Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO COOL! Thank you for sharing! !! <had to add some more, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally doing this tomorrow with 1st & 2nd graders! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This works great with third and fourth graders, too. I pull some really good books off the shelves that the kids weren't finding or checking out and tried this game. Even if the book didn't look interesting to them, they still read the first pages. I was shocked by how many kids wanted to check out the books after the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I've passed them on. Our school served Green Eggs and Ham - a big hit :).

    Cheers,
    Janet | expateducator.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I did this to introduce the reference section to my first graders and they LOVED it! We boogied to Laurie Berkner (kid singer) as we danced around and shared our favorite reference in the end. It was a really great way to get them excited about the references. I also did this with picture books and the Kindergarteners. It was a blast and they were so excited about the booking "hiding" on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete