September 29, 2010

I Read Banned Books... and I Bet You Do Too!


According to The American Library Association: "A challenge is an attempt to remove or restrict materials, based upon the objections of a person or group.  A banning is the removal of those materials.  Challenges do not simply involve a person expressing a point of view; rather, they are an attempt to remove material from the curriculum or library, thereby restricting the access of others.  Due to the commitment of librarians, teachers, parents, students and other concerned citizens, most challenges are unsuccessful and most materials are retained in the school curriculum or library collection."  

So many of my favorite books have been challenged and actually removed from libraries across the country.  If these books were banned from MY school library when I was a kid- I never would have read them... and "The Bridge to Terabithia" is a book I would take on a desert island.  Have you read any of these banned books? (You rebel!)





Bridge to Terabithia, by Katherine Paterson 
This book was challenged because of language used in the book, views on religion and SPOILER ALERT, because the little girl in the book dies.








The Giver by Lois Lowry
I totally left this book off my top ten last week... it should be there.  When this book was challenged, it was called "lewd" and "twisted".  One mom said  “This book is negative. I read it. I don't see the academic value in it. Everything presented to the kids should be positive or historical, not negative.”

I. Love. This. Book.  






All of the books in the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

This book (and the rest of them) were challenged because of magic, all the scary stuff and the fact that Harry didn't set a good example... he flew on his broom when he was told not to.




James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
I think every student read this book last year for Lemme Reads!  Go Leopards!!  The grasshopper uses some language that some parents didn't like, and they didn't like the magical aspect of the book.  I think Lemme loved it... am I right?







And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson
This is the sweetest book about two male penguins that raise a baby penguin together.  The book was challenged because it was seen as "anti-family".  I love this book- and I think this book is pro-family... love. 



All of the Junie B Jones books by Barbara Park
The spunky little girls is prone to troublemaking... she even calls people names and sasses back to her teachers.  Parents take issue with the fact that she struggles with grammar. Her adverbs lack the suffix “ly”;  and words like funnest and beautifuller are the mainstays of her vocabulary.

I love her!  Kids love her! 







Most of the books I read in high school are on these lists: "To Kill a Mockingbird", "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings", "The Outsiders" and ALL of my favorite Judy Blume books!
To see if your favorite books have been banned or challenged in the past, visit these links from ALA:

0 comments so far! Click to comment.:

Post a Comment