June 8, 2011

Miss Hokkaido

One of my very favorite students in THE entire world, Addy, read The Friendship Doll. What I love most about Addy is that I can hand her any book and she will devour it. Not only will she devour it, she will come and find me and talk about it. We have conversations that I can see myself having with other adults about books. How can a 5th (soon to be 6th) grade girl be so wise? Mark my word, she may be president some day. (Although she has wanted to be an OBGYN since I met her at the age of 5!) 
So, anyway, The Friendship Doll. Lately, Addy has been reading tons of books set during WWII. I wanted to give her The Friendship Doll so she could see how Japanese-American relations changed because of the war. She read it and of course loved it!  Not long after reading the book, she went to The Putnam Museum in Davenport, Iowa to see the Titanic exhibit. She was floored when she exited the Titanic exhibit and came face to face with Miss Hokkaido. She was so excited that she bolted to my desk and told me all about it- she even emailed me these pictures. This reaction to a book, this passion for reading and making connections to life is why I get up every morning to teach kids. Thank you Addy for inspiring me!
Miss Hokkaido


Miss Hokkaido's Dowry

4 comments:

  1. Addy is now one of my top ten favorite people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirby Larson is one of my top ten favorite authors in the world!!!! I love you Kirby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUME HIDAKA Japanese Outreach Initiative Coordinator at University of IowaSeptember 19, 2011 at 4:30 PM

    I reached wondeful girl Addy by serching about Miss. Hokkaido doll. She impressed me :)

    ReplyDelete