May 5, 2011

Looky What I Got!

I am a loyal 1st Avenue Hy Vee customer during the week.  It is very close to Lemme School- I go nearly every day! (My husband works for the company and  I put myself through college working there myself!)   Each year, Hy Vee has a "Spring Time Party" where each store spring cleans and decorates the entire store in a fun theme.   To my surprise and delight, I walked in on 1st Avenue Hy Vee's Party and found a CHILDREN'S LITERATURE theme!  The entire store was decked to the nines in all of the characters and pages from classic children's books.  One of the show stoppers was a ginormous version of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  When I saw that- I knew it had to be mine.  I asked them to hold it for me and 1 week later, it arrived- delivered by 2 very friendly and smiling Hy Vee Employees.  I was mortified to learn that this monstrosity would not fit into the building, let alone the library.   I left it outside for the night and hoped for the best.  I came to school the next morning to find that the book had magically been brought into the building by our amazing custodian, Annie.  For the rest of the morning, Annie and Mr B plotted how they would get the book into the library.  1 toolbox, a little elbow grease and a handful of very long screws later, the book arrived safely in the library.  The kids love it and I love it- I am so thankful to the friends who helped get it here!   And- a big pat on the back to 1st Ave Hy Vee for taking on such a beautiful and meaningful  theme- the community has loved it.   I love this book so much that when I retire, I may turn it into my summer home. 
The Front Cover!

The back cover!

A cute little model to put the size in perspective!

1 comment:

  1. I have "Wild Things" http://365scsdmedia.blogspot.com/2011/05/5-5-11.html from that same display! (but only for a week)

    ReplyDelete