February 4, 2011

Book Blogger Hop: February 4, 2011

Well... this is my very first Book Blogger Hop post! Each week, a question will be posted and I will answer it.   I hope my students and parents will read this post and leave a comment for me!  I'd love to know what everyone is reading!  I hope you are reading something other than for an assignment!
 
 "What are you reading now and why are you reading it?" 
My goal for 2011 is to read 100 books, and I started about 2 weeks late, so I am playing catch up!  I need to read 2 books a week to reach my goal. I am listening to Matched by Allie Condie on my iPod.  I picked Matched because I have seen it compared to The Giver by Lois Lowry and I loved The Giver!  I love the idea of future societies and how those societies have changed based on mistakes we have made.  In Matched, the world is based on numbers and statistics, they have done away with anything frivolous, and emotions are kept in check.  Each person has their food, exercise and hobbies slected for them based on their genetic make up.  To ensure a healthy and pristine society, marriages are arranged based on data.  In this book, we meet Cassia as she turns 17 and is going to her Matching ceremony.  In this ceremony, young adults meet their future spouse- a spouse that was picked for them by society based on each persons genetic make up.  Cassia is matched to her best friend Xander, which is a very rare match since they live in the same province.  The 2 are thrilled and look forward to being married at the age of 21 and having children at the age of 24.  But something happens while Cassia vies her microchip containing information about her future husband- she sees another boys face.  This even causes Cassia to begin to wonder about things- and you are not allowed to wonder in this society.  I can't wait to see how this book ends-right now she is torn between Xander and this other boy she saw on the screen.  She is beginning to question everything she knows about society- and I have a feeling she is going to start bucking the system.  This is a great science fiction novel with a strong female character! I have to finish reading it before I decide to put it in our library since it is listed as being for children in 7th grade and up.  
Have you read Matched?  Let me know what you think... without giving anything away!! 
 
Book Blogger Hop

13 comments:

  1. I read matched and LOVED IT!!! I thought it was brilliant!!! And so much fun!!! whata re you thinking about it so far??
    Hopped by Kylie
    www.kylie1403.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome...you will enjoy viewing all the blogs in the list.

    Enjoy your first hop.

    Hop on over to my blog if you like.

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read MATCHED. I need to pick up a copy! There was so much hype about this book and now that it's out I've seen a few disappointing reviews. I'm not really sure what to think! Still, the cover is gorgeous so I'll probably pick it up anyway!

    Here's my hop and weekly round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the hop! I've heard wonderful things about Matched. I really want to read it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm visiting from the book blog hop. I work at a library too, but I don't have my MLS..yet. Maybe some day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Hop! I really need to check out Matched. So many people have recommended it. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopping by. Welcome.

    I need to read MATCHED as I've heard good things. So many books!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping by!

    I liked Matched, and am looking forward to the next book. The world worked really well for me, as did the main character, but the boys didn't quite come up to the same level.

    My 12 year old daughter enjoyed it as well, although I had thought she would love it. One of her friends adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wondering about Matched. I LOVED Delirium, and I'm afraid Matched will be too similar. But, it seems like a lot of bloggers are enjoying it, so I'll have to give it a try eventually.

    Reading Lark's Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, it might be too young for them. I have 5th - 8th. I try to keep the 5th grade outta some of the YA stuff. I'm combined w/the public library so it makes it really hard to monitor all the books we have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hopping by to say have a great weekend!

    New follower :)

    Lu
    http://quickquotesquills.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book to add to my to-read list. Thanks for hopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cant wait to read Matched. (Of course, I need to get a copy of it first, lol).

    I'm your newest follower.
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete