October 1, 2010

Thursday Thirteen (13)

I love music just as much as I love books!  My favorite movie is "The Sound of Music"!  (Google it!)   So for this Thursday Thirteen, I give you my 13 favorite music related books.  The biographies on my list are of people who inspire me, and the song books are books that remind me of my childhood.  I hope you enjoy these as much as I do... stop by the library and check them out!

John's Secret Dream: The Life of John Lennon by Doreen Rappaport
This story starts during John's childhood and connects future lyrics to experiences he had as a child.  He had a rough childhood- his mom told him she was tired of taking care of him, so she dumped him at his Aunt's house.  His Aunt hated rock music- so of course, John fell in love with the guitar.  This is a stunning book- and you have to read the lyrics that are beautifully  painted on the pages.  I have loved John & The Beatles since I was a little girl and this is my favorite Beatles song, "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away":
I and I: Bob Marley by Tony Medina.This is one of the few books that focus on the childhood of Vov Marley.  The book is written in verse- and each poem addresses a different theme that inspired Bob's music.  One poem speaks of his father being a white man, and mother being a black woman.  Another poem talks about his passion for giving a voice to the voiceless and standing up for inequality.  The book has beautiful paintings and extensive notes... for the grown ups!   I adore his song "Three Little Birds"... if you are feeling blue, crank this up on your iPod!

Forever Young by Bob Dylan: I bought this book for Mr. Bacon when he left Lemme to become the principal at City High.  This book follows Bob Dylan through his life, and on each page are pictures from times in his life that became an influence.  For those of us who know Dylan's music, we see reference to all of his songs on the page- for example, a sign points to "Maggie's Farm".  This isn't a biography, but the song  Forever Young is picture book form... enjoy this video:
 

Little Stevie Wonder by Quincy Troupe: This is a wonderful poetry book that reflects on Stevie's life, from his childhood as a boy genius, to a talented, award winning musician.  The paintings are beautiful!  Adults will see how the poem gives homage to "Isn't She Lovely".  This is one of my very favorite Stevie songs, so enjoy! (I also love the Chili Pepper version!)
 

This Land Was Made for You and Me: The Life and Songs of Woody Guthrie by Elizabeth Partridge





Shake Rag: From the Life of Elvis Presley by Amy Littlesugar





Ella Fitzgerald: The Life of a Vocal Virtuosa by Andrea Pinkney





When Marian Sang: the True Recital of Marian Anderson by Pam Munoz Ryan



What Charlie Heard by Mordicai Bernstein





Sloop John B: A Pirate's Tale by Alan Jardine

As a child, we would listen to "The Kingston Trio" version of this song... circa 1975.  Here is a video of the boys singing... not in 1975, but they sound the same!





A Tisket a Tasket by Ella Fitzgerald



Summertime: from Porgy and Bess
by George Gershwin





Baby Brains: Superstar by Simon James
This is a very funny picture book about a mom and dad that read books and newspapers to their unborn child, and also play lots of music for him.  When he is born, he is a musical genius!  He graduates from music school and goes on to become a rock icon!  So funny!








0 comments so far! Click to comment.:

Post a Comment